Somerset County offers numerous places for cyclists of all ages and abilities to ride.
Whether you’re looking to ride through a historic downtown or go mountain biking through the park, Somerset County has something for you. Below is an interactive map of bike trails located in Somerset County, including on-road and off-road trails. The map also includes the location of several bike shops in the county.
NEW JERSEY’S SAFE PASSING LAW went into effect on March 1, 2022. Drivers are required to use “due caution” whenever they encounter vulnerable people on the road, meaning:
- Drivers must move over a lane (if there’s one to move into) while following all current no-passing and no speeding laws.
- On a single-lane road, drivers must provide a distance of at least 4 feet to safely pass a vulnerable road user.
- If 4 feet is not possible, drivers must slow to 25 mph and be prepared to stop until they can pass safely without endangering those sharing the road.
Violating the law results in a $100 fine (causing bodily injury results in a $500 fine and 2 motor vehicle points).
When riding on trails, remember to share the trail and practice the following etiquette:
- Be courteous
- Know the rules of the trail you are using
- Give a clear signal when passing
- Be cautious and yield to crossing traffic
- Always be predictable by riding in a straight line
- If you are riding while it is dark, be sure to use lights
- Only use half the width of the trail
- Keep it clean