Thinking about switching from a gas-powered car to an electric one? RideWise and our Electric Vehicle (EV) Coalition of local partners can help you navigate the transition with our resources for electric vehicle owners and buyers.
- Refer to our EV glossary to acquaint yourself with all electric vehicle types and charging terms.
- Explore our list of EV charging stations in Somerset County to find convenient locations to recharge.
New Jersey and the federal government offer incentive programs to help you transition to an EV:
- Federal tax rebate of up to $7500 on purchase or lease of a new EV.
- NJ’s ChargeUp program offers an additional rebate of up to $4000.*
- A rebate of $250 on home charger installation is available through ChargeUp NJ, plus new home chargers may qualify for additional local utility incentives.
- All EV purchases are exempt from the 6.625% NJ sales tax. This would save over $2500 on a $40,000 purchase.
- E-Z Pass offers a Green Pass Discount of 10% for EVs on the off-peak rate for the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. To apply, call NJ E-Z Pass at 1-888-AUTOTOLL (1-888-288-6865)
To learn more and connect with other EV enthusiasts, join our EV Coalition, Let’s Go Electric.
*The NJ ChargeUp $4000 rebate on new or used EVs is suspended as of April 18th, 2023 for the remainder of the fiscal year.