Come (virtually) ride your bike with us! You’re invited to join our Let’s Ride! Events in May and June, including the Love to Ride Somerset Bike Challenge, which will replace DriveLess Somerset this year. We’ve adapted our annual sustainability challenge to fit the times we’re living in in response to many people working from home and social distancing.
RideWise is excited to partner with Love to Ride, an online cycling community and challenge platform, to keep us active, healthy and connected to family, friends, neighbors and coworkers. The Love to Ride Somerset Bike Challenge is for everyone – new, occasional and experienced riders, with an online experience customized to your level of activity and interest. The free, month-long event celebrates biking and promotes safe biking behavior, and is open to everyone in Somerset County and beyond. Residents and employees, including those working remotely for companies/organizations located in Somerset County, are encouraged to join, connect to or register their workplace and invite others.
Solo rides and rides with members of your household only. Riders can interact virtually with others through the Love to Ride platform, emails, and social media. Encouragement is at the core of the Challenge and we want people to invite their co-workers, friends/family and neighbors to take part, even if they can’t ride together. Ride anywhere, anytime, for as little as 10 minutes a day. Stationary bike riding counts!
What are our Let’s Ride! Events?
Let’s Ride! Events encourage solo/family biking in Somerset County within COVID-19 guidelines:
- In May, Let’s Get Outside and Ride! Join the fun by signing up on Love to Ride Somerset, get connected to the Love to Ride Somerset community and warm up for June’s bike challenge.
- While getting your bike out, join our May event with fellow TMAs Keep Middlesex Moving and Greater Mercer TMA: You Ride. We Give. Pledge to ride your bike at least once in May and we’ll donate to Somerset County food banks. Let’s Ride for a Cause!
- In June, Let’s Keep Riding! The Love to Ride Somerset Bike Challenge for individuals and workplaces begins June 1st.
How does Love to Ride Somerset work?
In May on Love to Ride Somerset, individuals and their workplaces can earn points by riding and encouraging others to ride. Every mile/trip/minute and each day you log a ride, plus every person you encourage, will earn you more points and increase your chances of winning a prize. May is National Bike Month, and joining Love to Ride Somerset this month lets you take advantage of the incentives and prizes being offered in the National Bike Challenge.
Your miles and encouragements also help keep Somerset County on the national leaderboard! In June’s Love to Ride Somerset Bike Challenge, your rides/trips/minutes, and encouragement of others, will keep you, your workplace or social group team on the Somerset County leaderboard.
On Love to Ride Somerset, riders can:
- Create a profile – join a workplace/social group team, view stats and receive targeted advice to help overcome barriers to riding more often
- Easily upload/log outdoor and indoor stationary bike rides (by miles, trips and minutes) using mobile apps like Strava, or by entering manually on the website
- View leaderboards and take part in online challenges and incentives
- Set cycling goals – miles, trips (or tacos burned off!), and earn badges by riding and achieving certain milestones
- Find local info – rides, events, cycling initiatives, where to ride, maps, tips, etc.
- Upload photos and connect with/show support for other riders’ cycling goals, photos and achievements.
Why should I sign up for Love to Ride Somerset?
In this era of social distancing, we’d like to keep our community connected and active through biking. By signing up for Love to Ride Somerset, you’ll be connected with fellow bikers in Somerset County and be able to participate in a challenge that’s fun and rewarding!
How can I “champion” this in my workplace, community or social group?
Anyone can be Challenge Champion! We need you to help us get as many people biking and will be happy to send you a Promo Pack to easily promote the challenge, with sample email templates, social media posts and more. For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re looking forward to biking (virtually) with you!
The RideWise Team
Before you engage in any activity, please review and follow guidance provided by the CDC and the public health department where you live to ensure your health and safety.